Located in the World Financial Center Plaza in Battery Park City, stainless steel benches, fencing and sun shade structures collaborate to provide modern design elements to a historic landmark in lower Manhattan. 12 blocks of streetscape were developed to improve pedestrian safety and comfort as well as rising national security concerns in the aftermath of 9/11.
Designed by James Carpenter Design Associates, two distinct bench styles sit atop ribbed glass block casings. Four sun shade structures adorn a streetscape and a perimeter fence, utilizing the same material used on 7 World Trade Center encompass the neighborhood.
- Owner: The Battery Park Conservancy
- Client: City of New York
- Location: New York, NY, USA
- Architect: Rogers Marvel
- Landscape Architect: DLandStudio
- Designer: ©James Carpenter Design Associates
- Application: Fencing, benches, sun screen canopies
- Material Construction: 500 Tri Wire, 250 Tri wire
- Scope: 20 Benches, 500 feet of fencing and 4 sun shade structures
- Photos: ©Andreas Keller